Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Quiet


My word for the year is quiet. I tend to fill my life up with so much stuff that I really don't have time to just be quiet. God must have picked this out for me, because everywhere I turn I'm learning how to let go of the things in my life that clutter up my time.

A few weeks ago I was really stressed out and I snapped. I'm pretty sure Eric was making plans to have me committed. It was scary for all of us. I've never in my life lost control like I did that night. After much prayer I was able to calm down and see that I needed to rethink my commitments.

God told me that I needed to step down from the Women's Ministry team at my church. I wasn't ready for that, but I've learned better than questioning God when He tells me to do something. It's always best to be obedient. That didn't make it any easier to sit down with the women I've been working with for almost 3 years now and tell them what God was asking me to do. They shared with me their concern for my well being. They cried with me about having to take this step. And they blessed me with their support. God has given me such amazing friends. I promised them I would keep my word and finish helping them with the Women's Retreat. Already I was feeling more quiet entering my life.

A week or so later my husband and I heard God calling us to a new church adventure. We will miss our friends at Faith Mountain, but we are excited to make new friends and start the new adventure He is calling us to in Adullum. Once again I've had to tell my friends of a change in my life and once again I have been blessed by their support. Not that they want me to leave, but they understand that when God asks you to do something it's best to be obedient. I'm not yet sure how this will add to my quiet, but I do know God knows and is in all the details.

Last weekend was our women's retreat. Our theme was surrender. It is so fitting at this time of my life. God is asking me to surrender in order to make my life quiet.

Things he has asked me to surrender:
women's ministry
my church
my way of thinking of and doing church
my schedule
my need to control all aspects of my life
my dream of relationship with my grandmother
my jealousy of friends' relationship with my other friends
and my son Cale

I have always had a hard time surrendering Cale to Him. But this weekend God showed me that He has a plan for Cale's life and I need to get out of the way.

For the first time in my life I have no idea what the future holds, but I honestly don't care. Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments: