Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Golf

Day 11 - a picture of something I hate






Yep, it's official, in case you were wondering, I hate golfing. 

On vacation in Montana two years ago my Prince Charming and I decided that we would take up golf.  It all sounded so magical and romantic.  Finally a sport that we could do together, anywhere in the world. 

We talked my parents into watching the kids for us (it wasn't too hard.  They love to spend time with their grand kids from out of state) and we headed into Missoula, to the U of M driving range.  We purchased some tees, paid for a bucket of balls, borrowed a couple drivers and headed out to the driving range.  I was feeling gorgeous and romantic standing beside my Prince putting our tees in the ground.

Other than the miniature and video game versions I have never golfed.  The first couple of swings were not just bad, the ball never left the tee.  My prince cheered me on and proceeded to smack a couple balls down the fairway.  I tried again to hit the ball.  Nothing.  Again.  Nothing.  Again.  And still nothing.

I was not going to give up.  I may not have mastered any sports in my life but I can at least participate in any sport I have ever attempted.  Growing up with a dad who was athletically minded I have had many opportunities to try many different sports.  Golf was not going to be the first sport I completely failed at.

My husband saw that after trying for 15 minutes and still not hitting anything I was getting frustrated.  He offered me some advice as well as some encouragement and a hug. 

Reminding myself to breath, relax, and pay no attention to the young college guys driving ball after ball I started again.  My prince was already in his own little world again.  Swing and miss, swing and miss, swing and miss...etc.  This went on for another 30 minutes.  My prince was nearing the bottom of the bucket and I had still not connected my driver with a single ball.  I was in tears and so angry that I sat down on a bench and forced the tears not to fall in front of everyone there.  My prince looked up and noticed my heartbroken state and decided that driving any more balls was not a good idea. 

He gave me another hug, turned in our drivers and what was left of our bucket of balls and drove me to the HuHot Mongolian Grill for some stir fry and sake. 

My mother told me to never say never, so I do not anticipate ever trying golf again.




















No comments: